The American Air Mail Society (AAMS) is the second oldest aerophilatelic society in the world, presently with about 800 members worldwide. It is a non-profit organization, qualified under the provisions of Section 501(c)(3) of the U.S. Internal Revenue Code as tax-exempt.
The Society promotes aerophilately through its publications, member auctions and an annual meeting held at major local and national stamp shows. It also holds a major airmail show every four or five years at the American Philatelic Society headquarters in Bellefonte, PA.
One most important contribution by the Society has been it’s set of the American Air Mail Catalogue which covers all areas of aerophilately. See our Catalogue Page.
The AAMS is a member of the International Federation of Aerophilatelic Societies (FISA).
AAMS Membership & Benefits
AAMS membership is open to all who have an interest in or passion for airmail or aerophilately.
Membership includes a subscription to the Airpost Journal, the official monthly publication of the American Air Mail Society.
Airpost Journal Delivery: Members may choose to receive the Airpost Journal by normal mail to the member’s mailbox. Members may also receive the APJ by email. In this case, the member will receive a monthly email with a link. That link will allow the member to download the APJ to his/her computer. Note that the society must have your working email address.
- Airpost Journal subscription
- Discount of 20% on all other AAMS publications (books, Catalogs, monographs). Sales are handled by the APS (www.stamps.com)
- Annual Convention in conjunction with a major national philatelic exhibition in the United States where there are Philatelic Exhibits, meetings, programs, awards, fellowship, and sharing.
- AAMS Auctions, three to six each year, held at various locations in the U.S. Auction listings appear on the AAMS website or can be ordered as hard-copy for a nominal fee to cover costs. Members (only) may bid in person, by mail, or by email. Check the Auctions page regularly for this.
- Major Awards for service to aerophilately, service to the Society, research, and the Aerophilatelic Hall of Fame for lifetime service to aerophilately.
- Literature Awards annually for the best article in the Airpost Journal, and a best short article in the APJ and the most significant aerophilatelic book or catalog in the prior calendar year.
- Exhibit Awards for outstanding aerophilatelic exhibits at national stamp shows.
- AAMS Chapters (local or regional clubs/societies) affiliated with AAMS in many locations across the country.
- AAMS Study Units focused on specialized subjects, e.g., Pan American, Lindbergh, Balloon Mail.
- Aerophilately Discussion Group. Online at https://groups.io/g/Aerophilately/
Joining the AAMS
To join the AAMS, please fill out the form below
For general membership inquiries, contact our Secretary (see the Contacts Page)
Annual Membership Fees include delivery of the Airpost Journal (APJ)
Note: This table is valid after January 1, 2019.
United States - APJ by Mail
United States - APJ by eMail
Canada - APJ by Mail
Canada - APJ by eMail
Other Nations - APJ by Mail
Other Nations - APJ by eMail
Being a cooperative group, organized solely to assist airmail collectors, the American Air Mail Society and all its departments and services are not operated for profit. All AAMS officers, managers, and writers serve without compensation. Proceeds from all AAMS Services and Publications are returned to regularly audited accounts to support the AAMS, a Non-Profit organization registered in the State of Ohio, with full U.S. Government Tax-Exempt status.